In 1881, a year before Walter Langley and Edwin Harris arrived in Newlyn, Charles Napier Hemy decided upon a full-time move to Cornwall and chose Falmouth to settle in. He built Churchfield (now the Athenaeum Club) to his own design and had a boat, the Vanderveld fitted out as a studio. So began the role of Falmouth as home to a number of Cornwall's leading en plein-air artists. In 1885 Hemy was joined by Henry Scott Tuke who had been one of the founders of the Newlyn School two years earlier. Tuke took up lodgings at Pennance Cottage above Swanpool Beach with views east across Falmouth Bay towards Pendennis Castle and St Anthony’s lighthouse. Pennance remained Tuke’s modest Falmouth residence until the end of his life, 45 years later. Both men were highly accomplished marine artists and keen sailers and made the most of the opportunities afforded by Falmouth Harbour, Carrick Roads and the surrounding bays and beaches. They maintained close social links with the Newlyn and the early St Ives colonies whilst also guarding their artistic independance from these schools. Other artists of this period associated with Falmouth were William Ayerst Ingram and Frank Brangwyn.